Films designed to be made and seen in their immediate locality
In the April 11, 1910 edition of the Medford Mail Tribune, an article was written about the filmmaker H. Riemers and his tour of Oregon. He filmed several scenic views of Oregon, including landmarks such as Table Rock and Sterling Mine as well as local orchards and farmland. Riemers’ future plans were also added, saying that he was going to film Crater Lake and other natural features. The films were said to have cost upwards of $2000, and according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics’ CPI inflation calculator today that would be $50,929.
Edwin F. James was a highly regarded businessman who moved from Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon to open the Majestic Theater on June 11, 1911. The theater sat 1,100 people and was the first palace in Portland to show silent feature films and was later the first to add live organ music to silent films viewings.
The Heilig theater, located in Portland Oregon, was a vibrant and thrilling addition to the Portland theater scene in the 1900s. It was built in 1910 and slowly became a staple for movie patrons in the Portland area. Although the Heilig was well known as a movie theatre, it was also extremely popular for showing comedic operas and vaudeville shows.
Upon doing more research on film censorship occurring in Portland in the early 1900s, I learned that there was a Portland board of motion pictures censor. Viewers of the Portland board of motion pictures censor had the authority to order scenes and subtitles from publicly released films to be removed. According to an article from The Oregon Daily Journal in March 1921, the film Passion was ordered to remove three scenes and one subtitle from its film, which is focused on Madame DuBarry, a French revolutionary.
Heppner, Oregon is home to its very own Star Theatre, which was known as being one of the only theatres to show moving pictures in Heppner Oregon during the early 1900's as well as being a popular public space for other forms of performance art. Heppner's Star Theatre was owned and operated by B.G. Sigsbee and the program usually showed local short films and/or feature length films. The films showed at the theatre ranged in genres, including comedies, drama, war, etc.
The Odeon Theatre in Portland, Oregon took the place of the previously known as The National Theatre and is located on Seventh Street, near Washington. (1) The first newspaper ad promoting the switch from The National to The Odeon was printed in May 1910, this ad marked the earliest known date of programs under the theatre's new title The Odeon. Portland's Odeon Theatre actually shared a name and exhibition history with other Odeon Theatre's nationwide, for example St. Louis or Cincinnati, the latter notably suffered over $200,000 in damage in the fall of 1904.
This newspaper clipping from The Oregon Daily Journal describes the opening of The Dream Theatre which is under the direction of the People's Amusement Company. The People's Amusement Company was considered to be one of the strongest motion picture corporations then in the Pacific Northwest. The company was lead by S. Morton Cohen, and ran up to as many as 30 theaters at a time. The specific managers of the Dream Theatre changed throughout the 20 or so years it was around. M.A. Deaton owned the theatre and eventually sold it to a man named Robert Schultz.
This newspaper article, from The Oregon Daily Journal, describes how the Globe Theatre had been newly renovated and was reopening with a new bill. The article states that the opening feature, for The Globe's reopening, was the film The Prima Donna's Husband (Dir. Joseph A.
Upon doing more research on the Palace Theatre located in the small town of Silverton, Oregon, I discovered a powerful article that focuses on the demolition and reconstruction of the new Palace Theatre. The article title boldly states "Adams To Build Modern Theatre", which really emphasizes the point of the article and what is to be expected. In the article, Alfred Adams, the manager of the Palace Theatre since 1920, had collaborated and made plans with architects of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle to officially start work within the next 30 days.