In a newspaper from the Cottage Grove Sentinel on Thursday December first 1949 was the first evidence iv'e found that relates to the first planned construction of the drive-in movie theatre. The project was installed by Western Sound and Equipment Co of Portland. The newspaper column says that the theatre will be open for six to seven months out of the year "depending on weather conditions." I thought this was a great find because I imagine in other warmer states they would be open much longer than only half the year. The newspaper says the theatre would be on gravel in a space roughly 500 by 600 feet with an expected capacity of 400 cars, with concessions and even a "play pen" for children. This to me was a really great find because so far I have only been able to locate one photograph of the theatre is construction and one of the things I could not tell if the theatre had was a place for children to play while other people watch the films. I have also noticed that the original date of the grand opening was set for April 1st, however I have learned through my past research that it did not open until early May. Lastly in this newspaper they said that all of the cars would have underground sound equipment to be used for them. Im not totally sure if this means the wiring was all done underground or if the sound was to come from below your car or not.
Morelock's Drive-In Construction
May
18
2026
Categories
- Morelock's Drive-In Construction